Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The best memories from Japan :)

In today's post I want to start a short list of the four best memories from Japan. Of course there are so many good things to mention, that I would like to focus myself on those concerning Japanese people, whom I had the opportunity to meet. 

It is worth noting that Japanese people are rather shy in case of dealing with foreigners. Often it is connected with the need to communicate in English. In Japan, learning English in schools is obligatory, but due to outdated teaching model they can not speak fluently. In schools, emphasis is put on learning grammar and writing essays. Usually the only exercise of conversation is reading at loud the text of the manual. It should also be remembered that the Japanese who speak English, often for inexperienced Europeans are completely incomprehensible. Of course, the problem lies in a distorted pronunciation of words that is similar to Japanese one. :) 

But among the daredevils who risked arduous conversation in English were, among others, those Japanese:
1. A crane which grants wishes
I must admit that it is my favourite memory regarding Japanese, because I was deeply touched by kindness and selflessness. Once, in Tokyo I was turning back alone to the hotel, so I stepped in Tenya (a chain restaurant) to eat some tasty tempura :). Normally I never ate alone so I wanted a table just for myself. As it turned out the restaurant was crowded with people so I had not other choice as to sit at one of the longitudinal tables, surrounded on the one side by salary-man and on the other one by Japanese pensioner. Feeling the pressure and keeping in mind how the Japanese sustains the traditions, I tried my best to express the esteem respecting for food. At the beginning I felt uncomfortable, afraid that I can offend someone with improper behaviour, but soon I was able to  relax a bit. Then suddenly the pensioner on my right said, "sumimasen" (I am sorry). Surprised and a confused I looked in his direction, only to realize that he apologized for taking the sauce from the table, which was between us. Actually he did not have to say it, because he did not interrupt my eating, but  apparently the old gentleman must have considered as a lack of respect- not to apologize me for "intrusion" on the table. I tried to hide my shock caused by his kindness with a smile. When I finished eating, the old gentleman (who apparently did not speak English) asked me to wait, and took out a small coloured box and handed it to me smiling. It was origami box with a pair of cranes inside. He said that it was a gift for me and that crane made from paper can make dreams come true. I like a lot this kind of nice, random encounters that you can remember for a long time. It is good to know that there exist people who are trying to make your day a little better :).



2. Children's smiles
I think that even if we have nothing to share with another person, we can always smile. It is nothing much, but it can improve someone's mood. :) Japanese children are so lovely! It often happened that during my stay in Japan children were approaching me with a wide smile saying with a thin voice  "Herrrou"(it is hello of course ;) ). At this point, unfortunately, our conversation had to end, because children were not able to say something more. The only thing I could do was say "Herrou!" with a smile on my face. Can we call it a conversation? I think so, because you can communicate in non-verbal way also. Sometimes a few brief moments without using words can leave a very good memory to which you will want to remember (for example, in gloomy and rainy days;) ).


If you want know more ->
 See you next time! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment